The student news site of Minneapolis Washburn High School

The Grist

Girls Soccer – Game Day

The Washburn team huddles before the start of their game, as Rosemount beat Minneapolis Washburn 2-1  during a semifinal game of the State Girls Class A Soccer Tournament at US Bank Stadium in Minneapolis, Tuesday, Nov.1, 2016.  (Pioneer Press: Scott Takushi)

The Washburn team huddles before the start of their game, as Rosemount beat Minneapolis Washburn 2-1 during a semifinal game of the State Girls Class A Soccer Tournament at US Bank Stadium in Minneapolis, Tuesday, Nov.1, 2016. (Pioneer Press: Scott Takushi)

People rush to get their tickets, turning in forms, waiting in line at their lunch hour. Long lines crowded the hallway during lunch as tickets for the fan bus sold out quickly. Outfits picked out to show school spirit, plans with friends made for afterwards, excitement for the big day rumbling through the school. This year, Washburn’s Varsity Girl’s Soccer team went to the semifinals at the US Bank Stadium. School pride spiked as people were eager to cheer on their team.

On November 1st, game day, people waited impatiently for fourth hour to finish so that they could their way to the stadium. Once at the game, the stadium was a litter of green (Rosemont’s colors) and orange/blue (Washburn’s colors). If you looked down on the audience you would surely see a block of green, a block of blue and black, and a few more colors scattered between them.

As the game progressed, Washburn’s student section was chanting. Each time using different cheers that Seniors had been leading. When I say Washburn you say Millers, Washburn! Millers! Washburn! Millers!, Hey, freshman! Hey what? Hey freshman! Hey what? Show us how you get down! No way! Show us how you get down! Okay, etc. echoed through the stadium.

The game was close, both teams were tied 1-1 until the last 10 minutes. Rosemont scored in those last minutes and though Washburn was close a few times, they couldn’t make a comeback. The ending score was 2-1, but we still wanted to voice our pride for every member of that team for giving it their all. Congratulations to the soccer team for getting so far! Go Millers!

Sources:

http://www.twincities.com/2016/11/01/state-girls-soccer