The student news site of Minneapolis Washburn High School

The Grist

Last-Minute Campaigning

As the 2016 presidential election comes closer and closer, campaigns for all sides attempt to get one last big push in before the big day. Two out of the three debates are already over, with the last one scheduled to occur next Wednesday, and both Trump and Hillary supporters are eager to make these final days really count.

“Even if we only change one mind, it will be worth it,” said Richard Yu, a volunteer for the Hillary Clinton campaign. “Word of mouth and personability are really key in elections, and so even if we can only convince one person to vote for Hillary, chances are that they’re gonna talk about politics with their friends before election day comes and who knows, maybe they’ll convince them to vote for her too.”

However, others aren’t so sure that all the last minute campaigning is worth the time and effort. One such person is Washburn’s own Matthew Pronley, who, when asked about who he thought won the first presidential debate, answered, “You know, at this point, I’m not sure that any of it really matters. I mean, we’ve been hearing about this election in the news practically since the last election was over. If voters haven’t made a decision about who they are going to vote for by now, I’m not sure they have been listening.”

While the Clinton campaign is ramping up calling and door-knocking events in the last month before the election after a visit from Tim Kaine last month, Trump supporters in Minnesota are still disappointed that neither candidate on their ticket has yet to make a public appearance here, despite the efforts many GOP leaders are making to get voters from outstate Minnesota and the Iron Range to vote Trump. In the most recent poll from fivethirtyeight, 88.4% of Minnesotans were planning on voting for Hillary, compared to only 11.6% for Trump. If you are 18 or older and want to register to vote, vote absentee, or just find out where you need to go to vote on November 8th, go to vote.minneapolismn.gov or call 311 to get the information you need.