The student news site of Minneapolis Washburn High School

The Grist

Announcement Rant

Sophia Vischer, Author

GUESS WHAT DAY IT IS?

GUESS. WHAT. DAY. IT. IS…

It’s Announcement Reform Day.

Today is the day that we rise up against the incessant call on our superiors. Today is the day that we, the student body, fight against the ten minutes of static-filled horror that await us each and every morning.

Varying between much too loud and nearly silent, our daily school announcements lack not only consistency in audible frequencies, but also in the information we are actually receiving. The material that is forced upon us all day every day is anything but brief; broadcasted content ranges from club announcements, sport meeting times, yearbook information, college tours, testing days and the always charming “Hump Day” notice. In addition to the partially relevant school updates, it is a common occurrence to have unexplained noises emitted from the speakers at any given time. While occasionally humorous for students, these cacophonies prove to be a large distraction for all staff and the few deeply committed students roaming the building after 3:15.

With the common classroom interruptions of cell phones going off, technology malfunctions and talking students, it is difficult to obtain a regular state of focus at the present time. But, if you add the daily interruptions of students, teachers, and staff forcing information upon you with a wall-bound megaphone, it is even more difficult to become fully immersed in school material.

Not only are the daily announcements taking away student’s work time and will to live but they are also decreasing the overall state of concentration that the school as a whole is able to obtain.

The reign of the Hump Day notice must come to an end. This is a call to allow only the most vital and pressing information in the daily announcements, keeping it short and concise. As much fun as it is to hear clicks, bumps, mutters, laughing and the occasional siren, the speaker should remain closed to any outside information that does not directly relate to the students and/or staff of Washburn.

1 Comment

One Response to “Announcement Rant”

1. Fellow Student on April 23rd, 2016 9:43 pm

This is the most beautiful rant I’ve ever read. All the Grist articles are well-done, and I really applaud all of you for your efforts, but this is by far my favorite. Thanks for all you do. I hope you guys continue being awesome.

[Reply]

If you want a picture to show with your comment, go get a gravatar.

*

• Announcement Rant

Showcase

Girls Soccer – Game Day

• Announcement Rant

OPINION

Pride or Prejudice?

• Announcement Rant

NEWS

Cancer Moonshot

• Announcement Rant

OPINION

Where Are Our Textbooks?

• Announcement Rant

NEWS

Taking a Knee

• Announcement Rant

OPINION

Banned Books in Schools

• Announcement Rant

Showcase

The Reason for The Twin’s Bad Luck

• Announcement Rant

NEWS

Last-Minute Campaigning

• Announcement Rant

Showcase

The Unexpected Dangers of Wrestling

• Announcement Rant

Showcase

APPLY FOR THE GRIST

Announcement Rant