The student news site of Minneapolis Washburn High School

The Grist

Student One Act: A Success!

Brigitte F, Malone D

The student-directed and written one act play was successful in creating setting, characters and a credible storyline.  Although at first we had our doubts, by the end we were impressed. The story was unpredictable, and we had no idea what was going to happen by the end. When the first scene began, our first impression was that it seemed pretty immature. A boy named Speedfreak was running in circles on stage wearing underwear and a motorcycle helmet, and the jokes consisted of potty talk. This theme continued while characters Dimbulb, Mental, and Kevin were introduced. These characters were all patients in a psychiatric hospital, where they were being interviewed by a public newspaper.

The humor continued to be immature until Kevin showed his true super power: to change the weather with his dancing.  However, there was a plot twist, causing us to find out that each of the characters was only pretending to be mentally ill, the immature humor made sense.  The characters were acting immature in order to convince the journalist that they were mentally ill, and the story became more complex and compelling.  By the end of the story, we found out that the journalist had planned a bank robbery in order to receive more recognition as a reporter. This conclusion was a good ending to the story and made us appreciate the creativity of each of the student authors and directors.