The student news site of Minneapolis Washburn High School

The Grist

The Downfall of Depp

As one of the most successful actors in the world, Johnny Depp has had every role known to mankind.

From the unhinged and childish “Mad Hatter” to the stony and sullen “Tonto,” it seems as though casting directors of Hollywood have used him as they pleased, morphing him into any and every character they have the legal rights to. But, is all of this contorting and altering depleting Depp of his power to captivate and thrill audiences? Is he focusing too much on creating a wild and perfectly “Depp” character? The possibility that he could he be choosing these factors over concentrating on the quality of his performance is concerning audiences and dedicated fans worldwide.

Depp’s acting career started with a role in the hit TV crime series, 21 Jump Street during the late 1980’s. From then on, his fame only grew. With starring roles in classic movies like, Nightmare on Elm Street (1984), Edward Scissorhands (1990), Sleepy Hollow (1999), and Corpse Bride (2005), Depp began to develop his own quirky and unique style that would later come to define him as an actor.

Despite his brilliant start in Hollywood, over the next two decades, Depp’s movie ratings and gross would start to decline. Rumors began to travel regarding his unconventional style and whether or not strange characters is all that makes him entertaining. More recent movies such as Mortdecai, Transcendence, and The Lone Ranger, reflect just that.

So, all boiled down, who is Depp? It is true that he began as a uniquely enthralling actor with high hopes and great potential, but after years of being cast as a “type character,” it seems as though his uniqueness has dwindled to a barely remarkable sense of style and his potential may have never been reached. To some, he may just be a bracelet-wearing, pirate wannabe, but to others, there is still something about him that has the ability to hook audiences.

What began as an extraordinarily unique vision, may not last for much longer. Depp’s career may end with not a bang but with whimper.

Your move Johnny.