The student news site of Minneapolis Washburn High School

The Grist

Amnesty Club–what’s the deal?

Michelle Bonaime, Author

Amnesty.

What is it? Let me tell you.

Amnesty is a pardon of offenses. Do you think that people are telling the truth when they say they are not guilty but are charged as guilty and are put in solitary confinement for 43 ye111f3479-0374-42cb-a230-d40d8b07d7f0ars? There is a man like this.

In Louisiana, Albert Woodfox was charged for the death of a prison guard during a prison riot. Woodfox was originally charged for armed robbery. He was accompanied by 2 other men, Robert King and Herman Wallace. They were both released in 2001.

There are an estimated 80,000 people in solitary confinement. If this tugs at your gut, or you think this is wrong and want to do something about it, Washburn’s Amnesty Club is working to provide you the voice and resources to raise awareness and possibly make a difference in the solitary confinement laws, and also raising awareness in how no human contact can take an effect on the human brain.

I have always been real interested in human rights, I studied it in middle school. Why not bring it into high school? I think Amnesty International is such a reputable, good organization, and it’s really interesting,” says Claire Richardson, Senior, and head of Washburn’s Amnesty Club.

Amnesty International accomplished a Letter Writing campaign–you may or may not have heard about it over the announcements–to raise awareness about cases like Woodfox’s. Senior member, Brigitte Flannery, brought up a point saying that she didn’t know about many of the cases of human rights violations until she joined Amnesty International. Brigitte also told The Grist that people need to see the flaws in the world, and not just see that perfect view.

“Right now, the club is all female,’’ Claire Richardson tells us (“Though not on purpose of course!”), and she would like more males to join. Amnesty International meets on Thursday mornings at 7:30am in room 316.IMG_3419

Is Albert Woodfox’s case one of repetitive racism in Louisiana, or a case that brings out the flawed justice system of America. Is this a wake up call for us as U.S. citizens, or is it just another event for us to push aside? Do we have control over these cases or are we helpless?

You decide.

Sources:

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-33059012